Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sportage

I locked myself out of my car tonight.  I blame my pants.  I decided to wear my jeans with the short front pockets which my keys don't stay very well in.  This hasn't happened in a very long time, and it got me thinking about my old car.  Don't get me wrong I LOVE my updated version of the Kia Sportage, including the fact that it's almost paid off and it runs like a champ, but there are many things to be missed about the '96 version I had in college.

Things I miss about the 1996 Kia Sportage

  • If I locked my keys in the car I could open the back door that was always unlocked and get in. 
  • The latch on the tire required a trick to open so I could leave the back unlocked without worrying
  • I had to have a tire cover on the back, so I had the sweetest orange crush tire cover ever.  
  • When you turned the heat on it made the car smell like waffle crisp
  • Manual Transmission
  • The hockey puck stick shift
  • Being able to pull into a parking spot and pull the keys out before even coming close to stopping.
  • Being able to start the car without turning the key if you were parked on a hill or being towed.  
  • The turning radius.  I could make a u turn on a one lane street with cars parked on both sides.  (This trait is all the more appreciated after driving a '76 F150 with no power steering.) 
  • When the muffler pipe rusted and had a huge hole in it so my car sounded like a motorcycle for about a month. 
  • The hay we could never manage to get out of the pockets behind the front seat.  (We have no idea what the last owners used the car for.) 
  • Finally, I miss having the car knowledge necessary to keep that thing running for as long as we did. I almost did enough work on that car to build a whole new one.  (All with my dad's help of course.) Having a car that's not ghetto definitely made me lose some of those skills, but we did replace the brakes ourselves on it a couple months ago.   
I'm sure through this whole post your wondering who gets a kia, let alone 2?  I still love it, and I'll own papa smurf till he dies, but let's just say I will not be getting the 2011 version anytime soon.  

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...the waffle crisp smell brings back so many memories of that car. Walking over to the Avenues to borrow it from Jayme so many times, driving to Thanksgiving Point for Preference...good times, good times.

    Glad to have you back, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss getting it stuck in the mountains for you.

    ReplyDelete